Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I can find considerable information about how to use the Lie Derivative to measure the change of a tensor field along a vector field, but I can't seem to find anything for the converse. What if I want to do what the Lie Derivative does, except I don't want to act on a tensor field, I want a Lie Derivative that acts with it, on say, a vector field. Does such an operation exist?


share|cite|improve this question

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.