Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a collective term for the $XY, YZ$ and $ZX$ planes in $3D$ co-ordinate geometry? I was thinking "principal planes" but I'm not sure where I heard that.

share|cite|improve this question
Coordinate planes – Mariano Suárez-Alvarez Aug 4 '10 at 4:43
up vote 12 down vote accepted

"Principal planes" (and principal axes, principal projections) are terms used in engineering, architecture and technical drawing when using orthogonal projections (usually several of them) to represent a 3-dimensional image. Names of other fields where the same words could arise: descriptive geometry, perspective drawing, computer graphics, axonometry, surveying, geodesy, artistic perspective.

In mathematics, "coordinate planes" is completely standard, as can be seen from the first comment and its multiple upvotes.

Apart from being non-standard, use of "principal" to refer to the coordinate axes or planes is imprecise, and it conflicts with a web of other (useful because mutually consistent) terms such as principal axes of an ellipsoid or of a stress, principal component analysis in statistics, principal diagonal of a matrix. One wants to keep the latter terms as they are because they all are expressing the same circle of concepts related to diagonalization of quadratic forms. So "coordinate planes" it is.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.