Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

We all know what a "logarithmic scale" means. (It basically means that the distance between 1 and 10 is the same as the distance between 10 and 100, as shown on the figure.)

However, what is the word for the commonly used scale? Just "regular scale" or "ordinary scale", or what?

share|cite|improve this question
What about linear scale? – user20266 May 23 '12 at 17:16
@Thomas Of course. Add that as the answer so I can accept it! – meh May 24 '12 at 1:23
up vote 6 down vote accepted

Linear scale is the common formulation.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.