Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

For example, saying that $T$ is a k-tensor one might see $T\in 3^k(V)$, of course it's not actually a 3. It looks somewhat like Fraktur font Z: $\frak{Z}$. I couldn't detexify it, and it doesn't appear to be a standard notation for the set of tensors. Other resources seem to just use $T$.

share|cite|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

As far as I can tell, it's fraktur I: $\mathfrak{I}$. I don't think this is standard.

share|cite|improve this answer

I always thought it was a script T, as is used in John Lee's "Introduction to Smooth Manifolds" (though admittedly for tensor fields).

share|cite|improve this answer
It doesn't look like \mathfrak{T} or \mathcal{T}. But I guess these things aren't necessarily set in stone. – Qiaochu Yuan Dec 19 '10 at 6:16
Isn't there a \mathscr font? Maybe it's \mathscr{T}? – Jesse Madnick Dec 19 '10 at 18:45

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.