Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Out of interest what would be the best way to describe the spanning set of vectors a a and b



Apart form a and b, what other vector belongs to the spanning set?

Do i have to reduce the vectors using Gauss or should i approach this differently?


share|cite|improve this question
You could describe it geometrically as a certain plane. Algebraically, it's just vectors of the form $(\beta, 3\alpha,-2\alpha)$ (the span is the set of linear combinations of the vectors; so vectors of the form $\alpha(0,3,-2)+\beta(1,0,0)=(\beta, 3\alpha,-2\alpha)$). – David Mitra May 13 '12 at 19:38
up vote 1 down vote accepted

The span of $a$ and $b$ is the set of linear combinations of the vectors $a$ and $b$. This isn't too hard to write down here; no need to reduce, the vectors have disjoint support. The span is all vectors of the form $$\alpha(0,3,-2)+\beta(1,0,0)=(\beta, 3\alpha,-2\alpha)$$ where $\alpha$ and $\beta$ are scalars.

In particular, taking $\alpha=1=\beta$ shows that $(1,3-2)$ is in the span. For any values of $\alpha$ and $\beta$, you have an element in the span.

In fact, the span is a two dimensional subspace of $\Bbb R^3$; so you could describe the span of $a$ and $b$ geometrically as a certain plane. Namely, the plane through the origin in $\Bbb R^3$ that contains both the vectors $a$ and $b$.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.