Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

How to sketch $y=2\tan(x+\frac{\pi}{4})$ , $x \in (0,2\pi)$

$2\tan$ , 2 is used to be amplitude in $\cos$ and $\sin$ graph but for the $\tan$ there is no amplitude,so where will that $2\tan$ sketch, also
it is right?

Can you please explain me in step by step and show me how to sketch. Thank you so much.

share|cite|improve this question
Well, you weren't taught first how to draw $\tan\,x$ itself? – J. M. May 13 '12 at 9:06
yes! sorry for my lack of maths knowledge. thx – Sb Sangpi May 13 '12 at 9:08
Oh, you don't have to apologize. It does irritate me that your teachers have neglected to teach you how to draw the basic function and then ask you to draw something a bit more elaborate... their fault, not yours. – J. M. May 13 '12 at 9:11
If I were you I would ask this in general...there is nothing special about this function any you still want extremum points of y and y'... – Belgi May 13 '12 at 9:22
yes! please provide me solution step by step. Appreciate it! – Sb Sangpi May 13 '12 at 9:25
up vote 2 down vote accepted

1) Open any basic calculus, or even trigonometry, book and look and understand the graph of $\tan x$

2) Now "shift" that graph by a rate of $\frac{\pi}{4}$ to the right to get $\tan\left(x+\frac{\pi}{4}\right)$ (thus for ex., for $x=0\,\,$ we'll have now the value that $\tan x$ had at $x=\frac{\pi}{4}$...

3) Finally, multiply every value of $\tan\left(x+\frac{\pi}{4}\right)$ by 2, thus "expanding the graph"


share|cite|improve this answer
Are you sure that to get $\tan\left(x+\frac\pi4\right)$ you should shift the graph to the right? (I agree with what you wrote in parenthesis after that, but I would call that shift to the left, e.g. $\frac\pi4$ is shifted to $0$.) – Martin Sleziak May 13 '12 at 12:42
I think you may be right, it looks geometrically more logical to call that a shift to the left. – DonAntonio May 13 '12 at 22:43

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.