Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

A set is a collection of well defined and distinct objects, considered as an object in its own right.

What is the mathematical term for a collection of well-defined objects without distinction required?

share|cite|improve this question
A multiset. – David Mitra May 4 '12 at 14:04
@DavidMitra, thank you – Joe Tuskan May 4 '12 at 14:47
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Community wiki answer so this can be marked as answered: The term for a collection of objects without distinction required is "multiset".

share|cite|improve this answer
Multisets are sometimes known as "bags". – Barry Fruitman Feb 24 '13 at 19:36

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.