Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm copying my question below as it is:

At a speed of S km per hour, a car will travel y km o each liter of petrol, where

y= 5+(1/5)S-(1/800)S^2

Calculate the speed at which the car should be driven for maximum economy.

The answer is 80 km/h; but how to get there from here? Thanks for the help in advance.

share|cite|improve this question

The fuel economy is given by kilometers travelled per liter of fuel, so it is given by $y$. Since you are looking for maximum economy, $y$ needs to be maximized. Now, note that $y$ is a function of $S$, so maximizing $y$ means finding a value $S_\max$ of $S$ such that $y(S_\max)$ (written as a function) becomes maximal.

Now, as you mention derivatives, you should know that if $y(S^*)$ is a maximum or minimum, $\frac{dy}{dS}(S^*) = 0$. So, you can find candidate values for $S_\max$ by finding the zeroes of the derivative. Of course, you will then need to show that this is actually a maximum, but this isn't hard...

share|cite|improve this answer
Thank you, i think what confused me a bit was the expression "maximum economy"; but now I get it. – Deniz Apr 19 '12 at 9:28


You need to maximize $y$ with respect to $S$, so ...

share|cite|improve this answer

step 1: find derivative and set to zero(find critical points) 2.use second derivative test or something like this to see that,critical point is maxsimum

so let see y'=1/5-s/400 y'=0 means that 1/5=s/400 s=400/5=80 so s=80,if we need show that s=80 is maxsmum use second derivative test,namely for maxsimum y'' have to be less then $0$

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.