Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

i am a little confused, i know gradient vector is Fx and Fy (2 variable function and partial derivatives)...I know you have to normalize the gradient vector in order to use it with directional derivative and to do that you do Pythagorean theorem and whatever your answer is you divide your gradient vector to get unit vector for directional derivative....

My question is say you have a 3 variable function (x,y,z) given some point and gradient vector how do you get the unit vector because i dont know if Pythagorean theorem works on 3 variables since you know....the triangle things works for 2 variables only...

so how do you get the unit vector for 3 var functions?

share|cite|improve this question
up vote 0 down vote accepted

Same way.

In any number of dimensions, you divide a vector $\bf v$ by its length to get a unit vector, and in any finite number of dimensions that means $${(x_1,x_2,\dots,x_n)\over\sqrt{x_1^2+x_2^2+\cdots+x_n^2}}$$

share|cite|improve this answer
thank u sir, i was unsure – Raynos Apr 16 '12 at 7:11

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.