Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there a special name for the distance from the center of a rectangle to a side? I haven't done geometry in a while, but I thought there was an equivalent of a "radius" for regular polygons.

share|cite|improve this question
Half-length of a side? – Did Apr 13 '12 at 21:40
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Maybe the word you want is apothem. But that only applies to squares, not rectangles in general.

Or perhaps you want inradius, although that's usually for triangles.

share|cite|improve this answer
Apothem! I knew it was a vaguely funny-sounding word. – derekerdmann Apr 14 '12 at 1:04

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.