Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am wondering how to denote something like this:

I have a function mapping two sets to a set of vectors and am currently denoting it as so:

$p: [F, \Sigma] \to S $

I am wondering if this is correct, and if not, what is?

I am a computer science student and did a year of mathematics at degree level, but that was a long time ago and I have forgotten a lot of the basics.

If I am wrong I would appreciate a semi in depth answer as to why.

share|cite|improve this question
up vote 0 down vote accepted

A function mapping two arguments from $A$ and $B$ respectively to $C$ is denoted

$$f:A\times B\to C,$$

where $\times$ here denotes the Cartesian product.

share|cite|improve this answer
Thank you, this is exactly what I had forgotten. It looks so familiar now I see it again. PS. How did you center on here? I tried a \begin and \end{center}, but it did not like that. – Clintonio Apr 12 '12 at 21:46
@Clintonio: Double dollar signs. $$f:A\times B\to C.$$ becomes $$f:A\times B\to C.$$ – anon Apr 12 '12 at 22:10

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.