Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is it possible to write this in a smaller form: $(A \neq \emptyset) \vee (B \neq \emptyset)$ ? is it for example mathematically correct to write it as: $A \vee B \neq \emptyset$ ?

share|cite|improve this question
Are these sets, and are you talking about empty set? Then can write as $A\cup B \ne \emptyset$. – André Nicolas Apr 2 '12 at 15:24
up vote 1 down vote accepted

I assume that $A,B$ here are some sets. Then it is not correct to write $A\vee B\neq \emptyset$, because $\vee$ is not a set operation. $(A\neq \emptyset) \vee (B\neq\emptyset)$ is a logic statement, which is true if and only if $A\neq \emptyset$ or $B\neq \emptyset$, so $(A\neq \emptyset) \vee (B\neq\emptyset)\Leftrightarrow A\cup B\neq \emptyset$

share|cite|improve this answer
Of course, $A \cup B \neq \varnothing$ might be the shorter form you want... – Johannes Kloos Apr 2 '12 at 15:24

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.