Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I wish to prove that $G/K(G)$ is commutative, where $G$ is a group and $K(G)$ denotes the set $$\{aba^{-1}b^{-1}|a,b \in G\}.$$

I tried doing this using the definition (I took $X,Y$ in $K(G)$ and tried proving $XY-YX$ is in $K(G)$ but I failed...)

Edit: as pointed out by @Dylan Moreland, I meant to ask about the subgroup generated by the commutators $\{aba^{-1}b^{-1}|a,b \in G\}$.

share|cite|improve this question
If $G$ is a group, then the expression $XY-YX$ does not make sense at all. – Henning Makholm Mar 13 '12 at 17:17
You really want $K(G)$ to be the subgroup generated by the commutators $aba^{-1}b^{-1}$. The set of commutators is not always a subgroup. The easiest example I can think of is the free group on four generators. Also, you should prove that $K(G)$ is a normal (even better, it's characteristic) subgroup of $G$. – Dylan Moreland Mar 13 '12 at 17:17
Make sure you understand what is happening here: when you take the quotient $\Gamma=G/[G,G]$ you're introducing the relations $aba^{-1}b^{-1}=1$ in $\Gamma$, hence $\Gamma$ is commutative. – lhf Mar 15 '12 at 11:32
up vote 12 down vote accepted

You can't, because the set of elements of the form $aba^{-1}b^{-1}$ may fail to be a subgroup; if it is not a subgroup, then you cannot take the quotient modulo $K(G)$, so you cannot even talk about $G/K(G)$.

(And $XY-YX$ makes no sense in groups; that's the commutator of two elements in a ring, not in a group)

(For examples of groups $G$ in which $K(G)$ is not a subgroup, see here, here, and here)

However, if you define $[G,G]$ to be the subgroup generated by the set $K(G)$, then it is easy to show that this subgroup is normal: if $aba^{-1}b^{-1}$ is a generator, then for every $g\in G$, $$g^{-1}(aba^{-1}b^{-1})g = (gag^{-1})(gbg^{-1})(ga^{-1}g^{-1})(gb^{-1}g^{-1})\in K(G),$$ so the group must be normal.

Thus, we can now meaningfully talk about $G/[G,G]$.

To show that $G/[G,G]$ is abelian, note that if $a[G,G]$ and $b[G,G]$ are elements of the quotient, then $$(a[G,G])(b[G,G]) = ab[G,G] = ab(b^{-1}a^{-1}ba)[G,G] = ba[G,G] = (b[G,G])(a[G,G]),$$ with the middle equality because $b^{-1}a^{-1}ba\in [G,G]$. Thus, $G/[G,G]$ is abelian.

share|cite|improve this answer

As has already been mentioned, you only get a group if you mod out by a normal subgroup. $K(G)$ as you define it is not even a group, let alone a normal subgroup, so you need to talk about the subgroup generated by elements of the form $\{aba^{-1}b^{-1} \mid a, b \in G\}$.

When you mod out by $K(G)$, you're saying that all elements of $K(G)$ are now identified as the identity in $G / K(G)$, so it makes sense intuitively that $G / K(G)$ is commutative. But, it's also easy to prove. For all $a K(G), b K(G) \in G / K(G)$, $$aba^{-1}b^{-1} K(G) = K(G),$$ so that $$ab K(G) = ba K(G)$$ which is equivalent to $$a K(G) \cdot b K(g) = b K(G) \cdot a K(G)$$

share|cite|improve this answer

Well, the answer has already been spelt out.

First up, I'd suggest you actually prove that the subgroup generated by $K(G)^\dagger$ is actually a normal subgroup. (Otherwise, you'd be attempting to prove a meaningless statement.)

I'll further ask you to prove a more general statement.

Let $G$ be a group and $K$ be a normal subgroup of $G$. Prove that $G/K$ is abelian if and only if $K \supseteq \langle K(G) \rangle$ where $K(G) $ follows your definition.

Note that the result you're after follows immediately if you take $K=\langle K(G) \rangle$

$\dagger$ The subgroup generated by $K(G)$ is called the Commutator subgroup of $G$ and is a very interesting and important subgroup of $G$.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.