Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

If $\varphi$ denotes the Euler totient and $n=p_1^{k_1}\cdots p_r^{k_r}$ is the prime factorization of $n>1$ we have

$ \varphi(n)= \varphi(p_1^{k_1}) \varphi(p_2^{k_2}) \cdots\varphi(p_r^{k_r})= p_1^{k_1} \left(1- \frac{1}{p_1} \right) p_2^{k_2} \left(1- \frac{1}{p_2} \right) \cdots p_r^{k_r} \left(1- \frac{1}{p_r} \right)$.

I using a function defined by $\psi(n) = \varphi(p_1^{k_1}) + \varphi(p_2^{k_2})+ \cdots + \varphi(p_r^{k_r})$.

I am wondering if this function has a "classical name" that I should use (and maybe another well-known notation than $\psi$).

Thank you!

share|cite|improve this question
You could try calculating it for $n=1,2,\dots,10$, say, and then looking up the resulting sequence in the Online Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences. If it's there, it might have a name, reference to places people have used it, etc. – Gerry Myerson Mar 11 '12 at 3:39
Good advice Gerry, thanks, the first 13 are 1,1,2,2,4,3,6,4,6,5,10,4,13 and OEIS doesn't find any match. – Nathan Portland Mar 11 '12 at 12:35

I doubt this function has a classical name or notation. It is an example of an "additive function", which means that $\psi(ab) = \psi(a) + \psi(b)$ whenever $\gcd(a,b)=1$.

share|cite|improve this answer
Thanks Greg for this point of view – Nathan Portland Mar 10 '12 at 22:58

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.