Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I know that physicists call $\ell$ and $m$ the "azimuthal" and "magnetic" quantum numbers, respectively. But those sound very physics-y. (I am actually a physicist, but still.) Are there names for these considering the spherical harmonics simply from a mathematical perspective? Maybe "zonal" and "modal" numbers? Any precedent for those???

share|cite|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

So far as I'm aware, the names for those indices are inherited from the names for the corresponding arguments of the associated Legendre polynomials that show up in the definition of the spherical harmonics; thus, in $Y_\ell^m(\theta,\varphi)$, $\ell$ is the degree, and $m$ is the order.

But if you're communicating with physicists or chemists, I would recommend just terming them the quantum numbers, since those names are more intuitive anyway...

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.