Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

The product of monomial symmetric polynomials can be expressed as $m_{\lambda} m_{\mu} = \Sigma c_{\lambda\mu}^{\nu}m_{\nu}$ for some constants $c_{\lambda\mu}^{\nu}$.

In the case of Schur polynomials, these constants are called the Littlewood-Richardson coefficients. What are they called for monomial symmetric polynomials, and how do I calculate them?

share|cite|improve this question
+1 very interesting question – draks ... Feb 27 '12 at 22:11
I once had a similar question with a very nice answer. – draks ... Feb 28 '12 at 14:21

I found this reference, where the authors deal with the products you asked for.

EDIT The reference is

A MAPLE program for calculations with Schur functions by M.J. Carvalho, S. D’Agostino Computer Physics Communications 141 (2001) 282–295

From the paper (p.5 chap. 3.1 Multiplication and division of $m$-functions):

Let’s define the result of the addition and subtraction of two partitions $(\mu_1,\mu_2, . . .)$ and $(\nu_1, \nu_2, . . .)$ as being the partition whose parts are $(\mu_1 ± \nu_1,\mu_2 ± \nu_2, . . .)$. For these operations to be meaningful, it is necessary that both partitions have an equal number of parts; if they do not, then one increases the number of parts of the shortest one by adding enough zeros at the end. ... The multiplication (and division) of two m-functions are then defined as $$ m_{\alpha} m_{\beta} = \Sigma I_{\gamma}m_{\gamma} $$ and $$ m_{\alpha}/ m_{\beta} = \Sigma I_{\gamma'}m_{\gamma'} $$ where the partitions $\gamma$,$\gamma'$ result from adding to or subtracting, respectively, from $\alpha$ all distinct partitions obtained by permuting in all possible ways the parts of $\beta$. Clearly, all $m$-functions involved are functions of the same $r$ indeterminates, i.e. have the same number of total parts. The coefficient $I_\nu$, with $\nu = \gamma$ is given by $$ I_\nu=n_\nu \frac{\dim (m_\alpha)}{\dim (m_\nu)} $$ where $n_\nu$ is the number of times the same partition $\nu$ appears in the process of adding or subtracting partitions referred to above.

As far as I read, they don't give a special name to these coefficients.

share|cite|improve this answer
Not mentioning the details of the reference in the answer, but only (supposedly) on the other end of a link is not a great idea. The link is dead now, and I have no idea where it used to be pointing. – Marc van Leeuwen May 19 '13 at 13:22
And is "subtracting" missing after "respectively"? Adding $\alpha$ from something else is bad syntax... – Marc van Leeuwen May 19 '13 at 13:27
@Marc thanks for reporting that. I try to fix the link (if possible) and provide more information about the paper in the body of the you have any special interest in the topic? – draks ... May 19 '13 at 13:34
@marc sorry you were right. I stripped the reference a bit to fit to the question. Stand by... – draks ... May 19 '13 at 21:39
Reading the answer again, I have strong doubts about the division case. What do they mean by that? Note that the monomial function $m_{2,1}=e_2e_1-3e_3$ corresponds to an irreducible polynomial in the polynomial ring $\Bbb C[e_1,e_2,e_3,\ldots]$ and I think this is typical for the $m_\alpha$. But then they cannot be divisible by any other $m_\beta$, and the quotient $m_\alpha/m_\beta$ can only make sense as a formal rational fraction, not a polynomial as the RHS of the equation indicates. So either they are using a curious definition of division, or this is just plain false. – Marc van Leeuwen May 22 '13 at 6:23

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.