Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Let $K$ be a number field and let $X$ be a smooth projective geometrically connected curve over $K$ of genus $1$.

There exists a number field $L/K$ such that $X$ has a $L$-rational point. Let $L$ be such a field extension of minimal degree.

Can we bound $[L:\mathbf{Q}]$?

What if we replace number fields by function fields?

share|cite|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

No, for every number field $K$ and $n \in \mathbb{Z}^+$, there exists a genus one curve $C_{/K}$ such that the minimal degree $[L:K]$ of a finite field extension $L$ such that $C$ admits an $L$-rational point is $n$. This is a $2004$ theorem of mine.

Over function fields of characteristic $p > 0$, the same result holds, at least if you take $n$ to be prime to $p$. I think this result follows from the recent (solo) work of (my friend and collaborator) Shahed Sharif. (The result should hold in complete generality, and I believe Shahed and I already know how to prove it. But studying the period-index problem for $p$-torsion classes in characteristic $p$ in full generality gets rather technical, and we have put this aside for a couple of years now...) In any case it is much easier to see that the minimal degree can be arbitrarily large as one varies over all genus one curves $C_{/K}$ even with a fixed Jacobian elliptic curve $E$. For a proof of this -- and actually of a significantly more general result -- see Theorem 11 in these unpublished/unpublishable lecture notes.

share|cite|improve this answer
Very nice Crelle paper by the way. – user18119 Feb 24 '12 at 12:54

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.