Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm not sure if this is the proper place to ask this, but I am looking for an English translation of Voronoy's paper on the generalized Pell's equation. It might be his doctoral dissertation; I'm not sure. I believe the title is "On a generalization of the Algorithm of Continued Fractions".

share|cite|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

If you seek a detailed exposition of Voronoi's algorithm then see below. Based on what they wrote, the authors may have an English translation of some of his work.

Calculation of the Regulator of a Pure Cubic Field

By H. C. Williams, G. Cormack and E. Seah
Mathematics of Computation, Vol. 34, No. 150 (Apr., 1980), pp. 567-6

Abstract. A description is given of a modified version of Voronoi's algorithm for obtaining the regulator of a pure cubic field $\mathbb Q(\sqrt[3]{D})$. This new algorithm has the advantage of executing relatively rapidly for large values of $D$. It also eliminates a computational problem which occurs in almost all algorithms for finding units in algebraic number fields. This is the problem of performing calculations involving algebraic irrationals by using only approximations of these numbers.

share|cite|improve this answer
Here is the freely accessible version from AMS. – J. M. Nov 19 '10 at 6:14
Thank you, Bill. I have found a few papers that detail Voronoi's algorithm, but they all reference his paper in Russian (as does this one). Would you recommend contacting the paper's authors to see if they have English translations? – James Nov 19 '10 at 6:38
Yes, do try Hugh Williams – Bill Dubuque Nov 19 '10 at 6:53

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.