Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

The setting here is basic set theory. We denote by $B^A$ the set of all functions from $A$ to $B$. Also, to describe a function with $n$ variables, such that the variables come from $A$ and the function takes values in $B$, we can use $A^n$, the set of all $n$-tuples taking values in $A$ (formally - The set of all functions from $\{1,2,\dots,n\}$ to $A$).

So $B^{A^n}$ is the set of all functions of artity $n$ from $A$ to $B$.

The question: what is the standard notation (or notations) for the set $\bigcup_{n=1}^\infty B^{A^n}$, the set of all functions of arity at least 1 from $A$ to $B$?

Arity of at least 0 is also good (maybe $B^{A^*}$ is used in this case?)

share|cite|improve this question
I will use some shorthand notation for sure (yours is good). I just want to check if there isn't already some standard notation. – Gadi A Feb 13 '12 at 13:22
You may want to consider whether you really need that set. For many purposes it is easier to identify each univariate function with a bivariate function that is constant in the second variable, etc. – Niels Diepeveen Feb 13 '12 at 14:42

I don't think there is a standard notation for that. In any case, $\bigcup_{n=1}^\infty B^{A^n}$ is pretty clear but considering just using words and a simpler notation such as ${\cal F}(A,B)$.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.