Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Suppose we have a function $f(x,y)$ in two variables. Is there an operator on the function, say, $$([]f)(x,y) = f(x,y) - f(y,x)?$$

In other words, I'm looking for a commutator in terms of function arguments.

share|cite|improve this question
By analogy with the odd part of a function and the antisymmetric part of a matrix, you might say that your operator gives twice the anticommutative part of the function. – Rahul Feb 5 '12 at 11:59
I don't know of any general notation either, but I propose $[x, y]_f$. Note, $[x, y] = xy - yx$ is the ring-theoretic commutator, based on the multiplication function, $m(x,y) = xy$, so the new notation would agree well with established notation: $[x, y]_m = xy - yx = [x, y]$. Just a thought. – Shaun Ault Feb 5 '12 at 13:55
I really like $[x,y]_f$. – Peteris Feb 5 '12 at 21:52
@vrich: And what does that have to do with the question? – Johannes Kloos Mar 2 '13 at 14:27
@vrich: I don't understand this comment: $f(x,y)=e^{ixy}=f(y,x)$ since multiplication is commutative. – robjohn Mar 2 '13 at 15:18

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.