Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I consider polynomials $p_n(z)$ such that $p_0(z) = 1$, $p_{n+1}(z) = ( p_{n}'(z)-p_{n}(z) )z$, so $p_1(z) = -z$, $p_2(z) = z(z-1)$, $p_3(z) = -z + 3z^2 - z^3$. Are they well-known? Do they have their own name?

share|cite|improve this question
up vote 0 down vote accepted

I think the coefficients of your polynomials are Stirling numbers of the second kind. Lots of information here. In particular, the polynomials seem to be the moments of a random variable with a Poisson distribution.

share|cite|improve this answer
Thank you. Polynomial with Stirling numbers coefficients is known as Bell polynomial. – Nimza Jan 30 '12 at 10:30

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.