Mathematics Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people studying math at any level and professionals in related fields. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Sorry, if this question is dumb, but:

When you try to fill the circle with other circles - its called Apollonian circles, and there are resources about it, and some example algorithms. But i want to know the name of the generic algorithm of placing circles within the polygon, in same fashion as apollonian ones are placed in the circle.

share|cite|improve this question
thanx for a downvote, my anonymous friend ! though, hopefully, there are some less hostile math geeks here, who can answer my question – c69 Jan 23 '12 at 19:46
I think I would call it an Apollonian packing of the polygon. I don't know if there's a standard name for it. – Gerry Myerson Jan 24 '12 at 0:50
Ha! Packing - its indeed called like that. Thanx, and if you can put your comment as answer, i will accept it (as now i can google my way through it). – c69 Jan 24 '12 at 7:31
Your wish is my command. – Gerry Myerson Jan 24 '12 at 11:48
up vote 5 down vote accepted

It appears that it is called an Apollonian packing of the polygon.

share|cite|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.